Seven things to get from your first family lawyer meeting
I always like my clients to have a sense of value out of any meeting we have together, so I’ve prepared this outline of what your first meeting is all about so that you can be adequately prepared and clear on your expectations, regardless of which Perth family law firm you have chosen to use. You first meeting with a lawyer is very important. You need to come away from your meeting with a clear idea of what the different processes are for your separation or divorce, what you need to do from that point and with clear advice about what you are entitled to. At your first meeting the 7 things that you should get from your appointment are:
- Specific and plain English about your rights and your likely entitlements and outcomes.
- An overview of the processes involved in finalising your arrangements.
- An estimate of the time this is likely to take.
- An estimate of the cost of the different processes.
- Direction as to which path is likely to best suit your needs.
- Options to achieve a final resolution.
- Information about agencies and other professionals who can assist you.