Lottery wins and family law property settlements
The recent case of Elford  FamCAFC 45 considered how lottery ticket prize money would be treated in a property settlement. In this case:
- 12 months into the 10 year relationship, the Husband won over $620,000 on a lottery ticket;
- He had been using the same numbers each week for some 8 years before the relationship;
- He paid for the ticket out of his own bank account;
- He placed his winnings into a term deposit, where they remained until the date of Trial;
- The parties always maintained separate finances, and kept all of their property separate. They never held any joint bank accounts.